Registration for this event has closed
*** 2020 BEUToP is postponed to 9-10th Oct 2021***
Please refer to the event organizer's recent announcement for complete details.
Penang Island is blessed with amazing numbers of trails for many decades. Blazed by the local inhabitants of Penang, these trails link up various heritage sites and points of interests all over the island. Starting from Youth Park and Botanical gardens, the trails spread out from the north to central and southern part of the Island, from Air Itam, Batu Ferringhi, to Teluk Bahang and Balik Pulau.
For decades, Penang people have taken to these trails during many of their weekends and public holidays. Some trails are easy and popular for the leisure weekend hikers, while others are rather hilly and less chartered which provide interesting challengers to serious climbers and trail runners.
Yet, for a long time, most of Penang trails have been a mystery for a lot of people in the Northern parts of Peninsula Malaysia, and Malaysia in general. Many Penang people have not been exposed to the many beauties and challenges of these trails.
Until Sep 2018. Ultimate Trails of Penang is conceived with a passion for nature trails. Following the successful inaugural edition on 23rd Sep 2018, where more than 400 participants signed up despite the late opening of registration 3 months prior to the race date. Participants have given the race a rave review. In 2019, a new 100km distance category with elevation gain of 6250 m was added to the original 3 categories of 20km, 40km, and 60km. This has made UToP one of the toughest 100km trail race in Malaysia. A total of nearly 600 participants took part this year, which saw an increase of almost 40% over 2018.
Building on this foundation, UToP has attracted premier brand sponsor, BUFF as the title sponsor for 2020 edition. With an addition of 12km category, we expect the number of participants to exceed 1000.
Ultimate Trails of Penang (U-ToP) takes place this year at the Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden.
• All categories 40km, 20km & 12km flag-off from Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden.
• UTOP begins from Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden- Trailhead of Mount Olivia -
• Mount Olivia Trail - Top of Mount Olivia - Mount Olivia Mountain-Bike-Trail (MTB) - Coronation Trail - Junction Trail 46 (via Mount Olivia - Old Crag Hotel trail) - Station 46 rest area - Station 47 rest area - Cross Jeep Track - Trail to 84 uphill - Fork (Left) - Trail 84 to Cendana Hill until descent to Station 84 rest area which is Checkpoint #1 Station 84
• 12km will leave Checkpoint #1 Station 84, and head towards the finish line at Youth Park.
• From Checkpoint #1 Station 84 enter shot downhill trail until reach Hye Keat Estate trail junction (Turn Right uphill - for 20km which will pass Buddhist stupas until merge with the main trail that is slightly above the Middle station. As for 40km turn left downhill until bottom hill cross a small bridge Sungai Ayer Puteh and heading to Hill Railway Station Road to enter side trail at Penang Hill Bottom Station which leads to Penang's Heritage Trail 1890
• 40km continue on 'Heritage Trail since 1890' until slightly above the Middle Station (where 20km runners will pass and merge on the same ascending trail
• Upon reaching Claremont Station turn right and up to Claremont trail until Viaduct Station & Viaduct West Road 20km, 40km : Proceed on Penang Hill By Path G - By Path F and enter By Path A to Penang Hill Summit Road (Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra)
• 20km & 40km will proceed to turn left heading to Checkpoint #9 Tiger Hill trailhead;
• while 40km & 20km to continue to Checkpoint #9 Tiger Hill trailhead. From here 20km to continue on Moniot 1825 trail descending before entering Moniot Road East trail towards Station 84 for the 2nd time; which is Checkpoint #11 Station 84
• At Checkpoint #4 Tiger Hill trailhead; 40km continue towards a small stream and cross a small bridge into Tiger Hill ascending trail heading to Checkpoint #5 Kek Lok Si onwards
• 40km : from Checkpoint #9 Tiger Hill trailhead continue towards a small stream and cross a small bridge into Tiger Hill ascending trail
• Rain Gauge 29 is located at the peak of Tiger Hill. Make right turn to descend until reaching common trail of Tiger Hill - Penang Hill. And turn left heading towards Iron Cross
• From Iron Cross, take the trail facing in front which is Terrapin Trail or also known as Ngoh Hean Jungle trail until tarmac road of Ngoh Hean Hill. Turn left to a cross junction that is known as 'Hilton Hut'
• Again take the trail facing forward - Penara Hill trail until reaching tarmac road of Bukit Penara service road
• A very slight short downhill to enter Penara Hill trail which will lead to tarmac road of 1200 Steps Temple Path
• Exit Penara Hill nature trail and continue downhill on tarmac road until Checkpoint #10 Kek Lok Si which is located nearby Kuan Yin Statue & Octagonal Pavilion and Kek Lok Si White Pagoda.
• From Checkpoint #5 Kek Lok Si continue to exit the main entrance gate and turn left into Air Itam dam service road until reaching Air Itam Dam towards playground area and proceed to a short trail before veer left to proceed uphill towards Sitavana Vihara & Buddhist Monastery before entering Mon Sejour nature trail
• Mon Sejour Old House Ruins is visible at the end of the trail. From there move forward Upper Tunnel Road until merge into Viaduct Road West where it crosses path with 20km.
• For all categories 20km, 40km : Proceed straight to enter short Viaduct Road East before entering Moniot Road East trail until arrive at Station 84 again for the 2nd time; which is the last checkpoint rest area Checkpoint #11 Station 84
• From Checkpoint #11 Station 84 turn into Point 5 trail until reaching the junction to Station 39
• From Station 39 proceed downhill to Station 45 and later to Laman Flora at Youth Park trail heading towards the main field area;
• Finally, the finishing line is awaiting for all category finishers to compete the respective UTOP race course at Botanical Garden Taman Ruang Car Park.
Venue: Lapangan Memanah, Youth Park, Penang Island
Race date: 24th Oct 2020
Start time: 8.00 am
Cut off time: 12.00 pm
Duration: 4 hours
Race date: 24th Oct 2020
Start time: 9.00 am
Cut off time: 4.00 pm
Duration: 7 hours
Race date: 24th Oct 2020
Start time: 7.00 am
Cut off time: 7.00 pm
Duration: 12 hours
The 60km and 100km categories are postponed to next year. Additional details are to be confirmed.
|RM 100||RM 200||RM 280||RM 350||RM 430|
|RM 120||RM 230||RM 300||RM 380||RM 480|
|RM 160||RM 250||RM 330||RM 420||RM 520|
|RM 100||RM 200||RM 230||RM 300||RM 400|
|RM 120||RM 230||RM 260||RM 340||RM 440|
|RM 160||RM 250||RM 300||RM 380||RM 480|
Time : To be advised
Date : To be advised
Venue : TBA
For runners who are NOT ABLE to pick up the race packs on Race Pack Collection Day:
40km : You may collect them at Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden (starting venue) from 6.00am Sat 24 Oct 2020 to 6.30am Sat 24 Oct 2020 before the 40km race starts at 7.00am Sat 24 Oct 2020.
20km : You may collect them at Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden (starting venue) from 8.00am to 8.30am Sat 24 Oct 2020 before the 20km race starts at 9.00am Sat 24 Oct 2020.
12km : You may collect them at Taman Ruang Car Park, Botanical Garden (starting venue) from 7.00am to 7:30am Sat 24 Oct 2020 before the 12km race starts at 8.00am Sat 24 Oct 2020.
There will be no cash prizes for this event.
|Men – Open|
( Age below
40 years )
Only 1 Open
|Men - Veteran|
|Women – Open|
40 years )
Only 1 Open
* Only 40km finishers will be awarded with Finisher Tees;*